Tuesday, November 28, 2006

This is not what my resignation letter will say. But I'll be thinking it.

am tired again.

I am tired of working with people whose only view of kingdom has to do with protecting their petty little fiefdoms, no matter what, at whatever cost, and to hell with everyone who gets in their way.

I am tired of working with people whose only view of eternity is the installments on their home loan.

I am tired of working with people whose idea of what is right has to do with whoever's voice is arguing the loudest, especially because often, it is merely the sound of their own, ringing in their heads.

I am tired of working with people whose concept of excellence is based on what other people think, founded on the approval of men, and aligned only with the ideals of whoever signs the checks.

I am tired of working for people for whom spirit is something that comes in a bottle, and must be sold to the masses, despite the fact that they cannot afford it.

I am tired of working with people for whom reality is a matter of consensus, and must be voted on by a majority.

I am tired of working with people whose idea of truth is based on what people want to hear.

I am tired of working with people for whom character is a mere concept, based only on talk, not deeds; and for whom ethics is something only imposed by the advertising board list of guidelines.

I am tired of working with people whose idea of trust is keeping you where they can see you and vice versa, and for whom integrity is a matter of how well the firewalls work.

I am tired of working with people who think nothing of sacrificing the health of a sick child, to finish a commercial.

I am tired of working with people who find nothing wrong with selling cigarettes one day, and an anti-smoking campaign the next.

I am tired of working with people for whom pride is a matter of how many other people they have humiliated.

I am tired of working with people for whom friendship and team oneness is based on a united attack on whoever is weak and powerless at the moment.

I am tired of working with people whose idea of strength and leadership is based on force, and for whom discipline is something only found in a memo.

I am tired of working with people for whom gentleness is a sign of weakness, and whose idea of keeping the peace involves the elimination of those who disagree with their point of view.

I am tired of working with people who would hold on with both hands to an unsavory and unprofitable account, but who would drop a teammate at the first sign of weakness.

I am tired of working with people whose idea of promotion is the demotion of others, who judge performance based on time sheets, bundy clocks and agreeable smiles, rather than talent, effort and results.

And most of all, I am tired of working with people whose ambitions far exceed their ability, intelligence or even willingness to work.

This is what happens when you spend 15 years working in an industry founded on misrepresentation.

I am tired.

Again.

2 comments:

Mari said...

Resignation letters should be short. Sounds like a toxic environment, so leave for the sake of your health.
Keep your head up.

fishcracker said...

Thank you. Soon, soon.hThe real one will say something along the lines of "I regret to inform you that I am tending my resignation effective xxxx. It was a pleasure to have worked with you and your fine company." I am in advertising, after all. :-D

It isn't quite as toxic as, say, academe or medicine, I suppose. The work is easy. But the toxicity level vs. importance of the job ratio is rather ridiculous. If I wanted politics, I'd work in that industry. Oh well.