Saturday, January 13, 2007

I think stupidity is overrated as a sin: It isn't even one. There is no commandment that says "Thou shalt not be stupid, " nor is it in the list of the seven deadlies.

A friend of mine was ranting on and on about the stupidity of some, and I smiled, patted his hand and told him to count his blessings. He was surprised, to say the least. He thinks I've changed. He wondered what happened to the me who "didn't suffer fools gladly."

Not everyone can be a genius, that would wreck the curve. My mom always said, "Anak, kung walang tanga, hindi ka ituturing na matalino." (If no one were stupid, you wouldn't be considered intelligent.)

Foolishness, on the other hand, is different. The bible dictionary defines fools as "scoffers, who act regardless of the consequences of their actions, who do what is wrong and are proud of it. " That's way different from someone who has a low IQ.

So, in answer to my friend's question, no, I still do not suffer fools gladly.

But I do have patience for people who don't know too much.

After all, neither do I.

No comments: